Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Harvest almost complete

Fall is here in full swing and hubby and I have been harvesting and preserving in every free moment. The final big push happened this weekend when we added 15 quarts of salsa and 11 jars of pizza sauce to the spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes, grape jam and myriad jars of other items that can be found on the basement shelves. It gives me a good feeling to walk into the basement and select a jar from the shelf or an item from the freezer to set on my table which was grown in my garden and prepared in my kitchen. The final batch of grapes have been cleaned, smashed and is currently draining in the kitchen. The juice will become jam sometime in the next couple of days and I will again have time to devote to my other hobbies.

An update on the cotton...
The plants continue to flower and produce pods. All the rain we have gotten in the last couple of weeks seem to have encouraged a new flowering season. The things I have read say I should be plucking off the flowers so the plant can concentrate on the bolls but they are too pretty so I will be happy with less cotton and enjoy the flowers while I can. We covered the plants once a couple of weeks ago when we got a scattered frost. Other than that they are still doing well and I am waiting patiently for my first boll to pop open and share its soft bounty with me.

1 comment:

Alpaca Granny said...

What a feeling of satisfaction you must get looking at all those jars. all lined up, and ready to tide you through the winter.